Current:Home > NewsEchoSense:Princess Kate shares health update on cancer treatment, announces first public appearance in months -Capitatum
EchoSense:Princess Kate shares health update on cancer treatment, announces first public appearance in months
TradeEdge Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 16:48:40
London — Catherine, the Princess of Wales, offered a rare health update Friday, saying in a statement that she is still undergoing chemotherapy for an undisclosed form of cancer and has "a few more months" of treatment left, but that she is making "good progress." Princess Kate, as she's often known, also announced her first formal step back into public life.
The princess said in her statement, which she also posted on social media, that she would attend a massive military parade on Saturday with her family to mark King Charles III's birthday.
Kate was diagnosed with cancer earlier this year and has remained out of the public eye as she undergoes her chemotherapy treatment, which she said in March was "preventative." Without sharing more about her condition, her office had said she would not return to her public duties until she was cleared by her medical team.
She has been seen once, visiting a farm shop with her husband in early March, several weeks before she announced her diagnosis, but Saturday will be her first formal public appearance since she was hospitalized for abdominal surgery in January. It was during that procedure that the cancer was detected.
Kate said in her Friday statement that she was "not out of the woods yet," and that she had been "been blown away by all the kind messages of support and encouragement over the last couple of months. It really has made the world of difference to William and me and has helped us both through some of the harder times."
Kensington Palace released a new photo of Kate in conjunction with her statement on Friday, which it said was taken earlier in the week at the royal family's Windsor estate west of London.
"I am making good progress, but as anyone going through chemotherapy will know, there are good days and bad days. On those bad days you feel weak, tired and you have to give in to your body resting. But on the good days, when you feel stronger, you want to make the most of feeling well," she said.
Kate said she had been doing some work from home, and it's understood that she will start taking on a bit more on the days she's feeling well enough to do so.
Kate did not attend the Colonel's Review last Saturday, a formal dress rehearsal for the annual Trooping the Colour parade that marks the official birthday of the British monarch. Trooping the Colour is a tradition that dates back to the 18th century, and it does not coincide with the monarch's actual date of birth, which for 75-year-old Charles is in November.
Kate is the honorary colonel of the Irish Guards, and the military unit shared a letter on social media in late May in which the princess sent her apologies in advance for missing the parade rehearsal.
"Being your colonel remains a great honor and I am very sorry that I'm unable to take the salute at this year's Colonel's Review," Kate wrote in the letter. "Please pass my apologies to the whole regiment, however I do hope that I am able to represent you all once again very soon."
Kate's father-in-law, King Charles III, was also diagnosed with an unspecified cancer earlier this year and has been undergoing treatment. He has eased back into his public duties and said he will attend the Trooping of the Color parade, though he said he would ride in a carriage rather than on horseback for the procession.
- In:
- British Royal Family
- Prince William Duke of Cambridge
- Kate Middleton
- United Kingdom
- Catherine Princess of Wales
Haley Ott is the CBS News Digital international reporter, based in the CBS News London bureau.
Twitter InstagramveryGood! (689)
Related
- Louvre will undergo expansion and restoration project, Macron says
- Mega Millions $1 million ticket unclaimed in Iowa; Individual has two weeks before it expires
- Pregnant woman suspected of shoplifting alcohol shot dead by police in Ohio
- Why Below Deck Down Under's Sexy New Deckhand Has Everyone Talking
- A White House order claims to end 'censorship.' What does that mean?
- Parents of teen who died on school-sponsored hiking trip sue in federal court
- Police body-camera video shows woman slash Vegas officer in head before she is shot and killed
- Collaborative effort helps US men's basketball cruise past Greece, into World Cup second round
- Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Triathlon
- Haiti police probe killings of parishioners who were led by a pastor into gang territory
Ranking
- Meta donates $1 million to Trump’s inauguration fund
- Panama Canal authorities set restrictions on cargo ship travel due to unprecedented drought
- Hannah Montana's Mitchel Musso Arrested for Public Intoxication
- How Singer Manuel Turizo Reacted to Getting a Text From Shakira About Collaborating
- Paula Abdul settles lawsuit with former 'So You Think You Can Dance' co
- Millie Bobby Brown details romance with fiancé Jake Bongiovi, special connection to engagement ring
- Spring, purified, mineral or alkaline water? Is there a best, healthiest water to drink?
- Influencer Brianna Chickenfry Responds to Criticism of Zach Bryan Romance
Recommendation
McConnell absent from Senate on Thursday as he recovers from fall in Capitol
Bachelorette Contestant Josh Seiter Dead at 36
Below Deck Down Under Loses Another Crewmember After Heartbreaking Firing
Florida Gulf Coast drivers warned of contaminated gas as Tropical Storm Idalia bears down
What to know about Tuesday’s US House primaries to replace Matt Gaetz and Mike Waltz
Get $30 off These Franco Sarto Lug Sole Loafers Just in Time for Fall
Why Lindsay Arnold Says She Made the Right Decision Leaving Dancing With the Stars
Second man dies following weekend shooting in downtown Louisville